I2Cdevlib Forums

Freezing problem

I´ve been suffering a freezing problem with the MPU6050. After a lot of tests I think that I solved it. I would like to share with you the solution in order to test if it really works. The  "magic" was to wire the AD0 to ground and not leave it unwired as many circuit diagrams suggests. Since I wired it to ground (using 0x68 address) it works perfectly. It´s possible that a voltage fluctuation could change the AD0 value and freeze de I2C communication. If anyone is having this problems and this solution works for him/her I´d love to know about it to check that it´s the right fix.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a sen0142 DFROBOT version  and it hangs, The A0 pin isn't broke out but according to the schematic it is not floating.

The only application not working is the DMP, it hangs on both an UNO board and a breadboarded atmega328P.

The raw example works, and my own app i wrote to get only AccX and GyroY works, even at 1000 khz retrieving samples by the DUE. So i know its not the SDA/SDC lines be miswired or voltages incorrect. The motion control application crashes abruptly, everything else works flawless. I'm at a loss as to why, don't know either where it crashes in the program.

This question is consistently unanswered for many people on many sites even tho A0 is tied properly, like myself. Would love to use the DMP app, it just doesn't run for more then 10 seconds to a minute.

• 2 years later...
On 12/1/2015 at 6:05 PM, lordarkam said:

After several days of testing, I´m pretty sure that the solution is right. I can´t reproduce the hanging issue since I wired the mpu6050 AD0 pin to GND or VCC.

Hi Lordarkam,

I also had the freezing problem with a MPU6050 wired up to a Arduino UNO. Ran the test example software for the MPU6050 and the auduino would kick the raw gyro values. However as soon as I give the MPU6050 sudden bump, the arduino freezes and locks up. If I tilted  the MPU6050. gently the readings would be fine. But any sudden movement or a slight bump will freeze. As per your suggestion in grounding the ADO, the freezing was eliminated and the MPU and Arduino became very stable. I can confirm that your solution works. Thanks very much.

• 2 years later...