I2Cdevlib Forums

Using raw data deriving from the accelerometer in MPU-6050 and converting it to actual meters per second squared

Hello, I am new to this forum and have started experimenting with the MPU-6050 a few weeks ago. I am using it for a Design Technology project in hopes of measuring acceleration in any specific direction. After much research it was concluded this cheap, but useful chip was the go-to piece and so after more searching around on youtube I stumbled upon Jeff Rowberg's code. It took me a lot of time to get the processing teapot screen running but it was so worth it. Anyways now that I accomplished that, I moved on to the main task at hand and found out that by uncommented "OUTPUT_READABLE_REALACCEL" . This gave a significant amount of values and raw data in the serial monitor itself but the problem I have is that I do not understand the values or know how to convert them into acceleration that I can then use to perform other functions. I have only started coding last year and I am currently 16 in Year 11. If anyone could give some input or understandable references on the following values I would appreciate that a lot.

Send any character to begin DMP programming and demo: 
Initializing DMP...
Enabling DMP...
Enabling interrupt detection (Arduino external interrupt 0)...
DMP ready! Waiting for first interrupt...
areal	-293	49	   -1190
areal	-153	22	   66
areal	-50	    10	   868
areal	4	    -14	   1370
areal	23	    -39	   1676
areal	59	    -54	   1878
areal	86	    -68	   2013
areal	107    	-77	   2119
areal	119    	-83	   2175
areal	112	    -89	   2187
areal	99	    -10    72182
areal	116	    -118   2198
areal	144	    -120   2222

So here is the following data I have received:

Also many thanks to Jeff Rowberg for producing such valuable and useful code. I will make sure to include you in my project credits and when I master Arduino I will definitely try to share and teach this to others.

Thank you

This is what you can find purely in the MPU-6050 official documentation (https://www.invensense.com/products/motion-tracking/6-axis/mpu-6050/)

The MPU-6050 has a word lenght of 16 bits, and the raw value is a discretization of the ±2 scale (default). 16 bits long it's a sensitivity 16384 LSB/g. That means 1g equals to a raw value of 16384. Note that for different scales the sensitivity is different too. From now on it's just elementary math to convert raw values to g-unit or any other acceleration unit.