Jump to content
I2Cdevlib Forums

Is the DMP useful is > 3G environments?


Recommended Posts

As I recall, because of the proprietary nature, the 6050 DMP can only be used at +/- 3G.  This is enough, of course, to get yaw/pitch/roll data out of the chip under limited Gs, but what about in high-G environments?

 

In short, with the yaw/pitch/roll data generated by the DMP still be accurate when subjected to greater than 3G acceleration?  Greater than 16Gs?

 

Thanks,

Marc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By default I think the DMP is working with +-2g configuration. Maybe it can be changed, but I don't know how.

 

 

 

yaw/pitch/roll data generated by the DMP still be accurate when subjected to greater than 3G acceleration?  Greater than 16Gs?

 

I would say no. But it depends on how long those Gs are applied. I mean, everytime the accelerometer saturates, DMP's measures will start to drift over time. So if those accelerations are only suffered for a small amount of time (less than a second for example), I believe you should be fine.

 

If acceleration is going to be constant or for long periods of time, forget about DMP. Other users have noticed that DMP drifts while big translational acceleration is applied.

 

If you say what is your application maybe I can be of any more help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, I meant +/- 2G's...

 

This would be to get yaw/pitch/roll data in a high-power rocket.  If course the rocket would be pulling in the neighborhood of 50Gs for a few seconds, followed by freefall (in actuality coasting) followed an ejection charge explosion which presents it's own reasonably high G forces.

 

I'm kind of assuming that the high G's would render the DMP capabilities at +/- 2G's moot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was somebody in this forum who achieved something similar with a rocket. Check this topic: http://www.i2cdevlib.com/forums/topic/10-why-is-the-dmp-yaw-stable/?hl=rocket#entry30

 

Taking into account the high Gs and the vibrations that will appear, I think you will have to forget about DMP and accelerometers...

 

I would calibrate giros as best as I can, considering temperature changes and maybe vibrations of a test launch, and then just integrate giros to get yaw, pitch, roll. This measure should be reliable for a few seconds (10 or 20 maybe with good calibration) and then it will start to drift.

 

You can also try to fusionate with accelerometer once rocket motor has stopped and it is falling.

 

Best thing is to ask the guys linked above maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...