mubash3r Posted July 1, 2024 Report Share Posted July 1, 2024 Hello everyone! I am experimenting with MPU6050. I am working with Jeff Rowberg's library using DMP (MotionApps v2.0)). I performed a simple test. For this test, I printed only y-axis OUTPUT_READABLE_WORLDACCEL values. As per my understanding, when mpu6050 is at rest, value should be zero. When movement starts, the values should increase. When stopped, values should decrease to zero but mpu6050 shows un-predictable values. These values are given below. 0 0 0 169 389 637 957 1388 2472 3025 3519 3937 4297 4563 4683 4704 4775 4815 4818 4848 4887 4903 4897 4856 4614 4383 4167 3951 3666 3348 3038 2685 2203 992 340 0 0 -313 -1363 -2355 -3223 -4627 -5346 -6057 -6644 -7120 -7407 -7513 -7582 -6995 -6578 -6178 -5841 -5422 -4872 -4459 -4063 -3125 -2664 -2253 -1942 -1531 -1248 -1064 -809 -270 -38 0 0 0 0 As I mentioned, I move the sensor from right to left. Above values show both positive and negative values which apparently seem to be two movements (i.e. from right to left and then from left to right). I am really unable to understand this pattern. Clearly I am missing/misunderstanding something. Please help me to resolve/understand this issue. Thanks & regards. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jeff Rowberg Posted July 1, 2024 Report Share Posted July 1, 2024 What you're seeing is actually expected because of what acceleration is, fundamentally. The positive values represent a change (increase) in velocity as you begin moving the IMU in one direction. Eventually, you stop accelerating the IMU, at which point it is moving at a relatively constant velocity--but still moving, nonetheless. At this moment, the readings return to zero. But then, you stop moving the IMU, which is when the negative values begin. These represent another change (decrease) in velocity as you slow it down to a stopped/rest state, at which point the acceleration returns to zero once again. This page gives you an interesting 3-graph visualization of position, velocity, and acceleration over time, all linked together: https://ophysics.com/k4b.html Hope this helps! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mubash3r Posted July 2, 2024 Author Report Share Posted July 2, 2024 Thanks for clarifying. I think, still, I am not getting it correctly so I need your help a little more. There are 2 sets of values, positive and negative. Both positive and negative values increase and decrease. Please explain the following. 1-Increasing positive value is definitely increase in velocity. What about decreasing positive values? Does it mean that velocity is still increasing but not as fast as it was increasing initially? 2-I thought that negative sign indicates opposite direction. You say, negative sign indicates deacceleration. If so, is there any way to detect motion in opposite direction? 3- What is difference between OUTPUT_READABLE_REALACCEL and OUTPUT_READABLE_WORLDACCEL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.