Thomas_ Posted July 19, 2018 Report Share Posted July 19, 2018 Dear all, I am using the 6 axis motion app library developed by Jeff Rowberg. For my application I need to have my accelerometer 2m away from my Arduino. The issue I have is that my I2C scanner finds the accelerometer but when I use the Accelerometer code I cannot read any values. If I use a short wire (5cm) I can read the values perfectly fine. I have tried to set my I2C baud rate to a lower value using Wire.setClock(100000); so 100kHz rather than the standard 400kHz but I still get the same result. Thank you so much for your help in advance. Best regards, Tom Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
paynterf Posted July 20, 2018 Report Share Posted July 20, 2018 Tom, I can't give you any help, but I am having a similar issue with the 6050 and 25-30 cm wire lengths. I can 'see' the device and get data from it, but something hangs up after a few tens of minutes. I'm still working on what the 'something' is ;-). Frank Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Thomas_ Posted July 26, 2018 Author Report Share Posted July 26, 2018 Hi Frank, Thanks for the reply so basically to give you some feedback on my experience so far. So I tried in the previous days different wires and different combinations and now managed to go up to 3m without any problems and without sacrificing accuracy. There is a permanent good connection now. What I have experienced is that it really depends on the wire. For example with a AWG24 wire (CAT5e) I could only connect either SCL or SDA on the same 8 cable strand, whereas now I am using AWG28 with 10pin Ribbon cable and it works perfectly fine. In case you need to extend your cable even further than I achieved so far have a look at active I2C extension boards like the one in the link below. https://www.horter.de/doku/i2c-extender-testplatine_db.pdf The only issue I now have is connecting multiple MPU6050 at a time to the Arduino DUE while using Jeff Rowberg's I2CDevlib. Regards, Tom Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zenman Posted August 20, 2018 Report Share Posted August 20, 2018 Have you considered a wireless option? Using either web sockets or bluetooth is not overly complicated. You could have your IMU device connected to an esp32 then have it communicate the IMU data wirelessly to a second device (2 meters away) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.